Saturday, March 8, 2008

Spectrum Parents: Do You Talk to Your Baby? Research Says It's Helpful

I was recently reading a blog on www.BabyCenter.com, and saw the following post: "Talk is the greatest teaching tool." The blog reported that a study examined the relationship between a child's language development and talk from parents. The study's results indicated that "a child’s intellectual success is directly related to the amount of talk the child hears from birth to age three."

I thought that this was interesting, and wondered how much other parents on the spectrum talk to their children. I find myself talking to my son a lot, but I honestly do feel a little silly doing so! I talk with him about the weather outside, how cute he is, what our pets are doing, etc. I also sing to him frequently ("Babe" by Styx!). I honestly don't know what else to do to interact with him at this age. Sometimes, I just hold him while playing some quiet classical music or a music box.

So, what do you think? Is talking to your child at this age so important? How often do you talk to your babies and toddlers?


P.S. Here is the link to the BabyCenter blog post: http://blogs.parentcenter.babycenter.com/momformation/2008/02/24/talk-is-the-greatest-teaching-tool/

No comments: