Monday, February 4, 2008

An Autistic Parent Success Story from ASA

The Autism Society of America has a new website, and I saw this article written by a parent on the spectrum. It doesn't go into a lot of details about parenting, but it was nice to see such as positive story on the ASA website. Thank you ASA!

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Ruth's Story

“I was born with profound autism before it was known as a disorder. Nonverbal, I identified with Midnight, a Persian cat, until a neighbor insisted that I drink from a glass like a child, not lap milk from a saucer. Easily distracting myself with glittering lights and sparkling prisms, I spun myself through early childhood. A school principal, nurse, psychologist and the Girl Scouts helped me learn to talk, read and become socially appropriate, to save me from being sent to the institution for the mentally ill recommended by our doctor. I graduated college magna cum laude, earning a Phi Beta Kappa key. I became a clothing buyer, interior designer and talented dress designer, receiving awards for my clothing...I serve as the Midwest board director for ASA and am married. I love being a grandmother.”

Here is the link to the whole article:
http://www.autism-society.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=10044

No comments: